So, here is a new post that may be recognised by bloggers, but may seem like a random title to non-bloggers. It was all German to me (!) until I read the following from Hannah @theamphletts. Thank you Hannah for my nomination:
‘Liebster’ is Germanic in origin and can mean dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute and endearing. This award started back in 2011 and exists only on the internet, given by bloggers to fellow bloggers to encourage connection and support within the blogging community, and to aid in the discovery of new and upcoming bloggers.
This award offers an opportunity for me to link up with other bloggers, spread the word about The Boy Equation and hopefully gain some new readers. It also enables me to promote some other new bloggers’ crafts (and by ‘crafts’ I mean their skills, not Blue Peter stylee double-sided sticky tape and toilet roll creations!)
- Thank the person who nominated you – and display your award with pride
- Answer the eleven questions put to you by the person who nominated you
- List 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate and link to other bloggers that you think are deserving of this award
- Give them 11 questions to answer and let them know they’ve been nominated!
Here are the questions I was given and my answers, which I have not spent time considering, but have gone with gut reaction answers to – let’s hope this method works out!
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
Being forced to eat the most disgusting boiled potatoes for school dinners, crying because they were so disgusting, and then my brother secretly scraping them into the bin for me when the dinner ladies’ backs were turned! (I have the worst memory ever, so anything before aged five is unlikely to feature in my memory bank!)
- What three words would you use to describe yourself?
Talkative, kind, positive
- What three words would most people use to describe you?
talkative, friendly (I hope!), teacher (What a tough question – I dread to think what words people would use. If you are brave enough, please comment at the bottom of this post with your three words!)
- What is your all time favourite type of cake?
Chocolate – I am so predictable!
- Who is your hero and why?
I am never one to conform, so I am going to say Gary Wilmott or Bonnie Langford! As a child I loved musical theatre (and stilldo now) and I used to totally idolise them both. ( I know I should have had a more educated answer, such as Florence Nightingale or Martin Luther King, but I am going with gut reaction remember, and that’s what you get. I am nothing if not honest!)
- Is there something you find very scary / exciting, yet ever want to do?
I would love to visit a really unusual country, where cultures and traditions are very different to what I know, where I have no-one to guide me through it. But I would def be too scared to actually do this!
- If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go and why?
New York (in light of my answer to the question above!) I want to shop and sight-see! But I need a serious amount of cash to do this since I want to seriously shop. You know the type…money-no-object shopping. Involving shoes. And handbags. And clothes. And jewellery. Lots of each!
- What are your guilty pleasures?
Trashy TV – I am talking TOWIE and CBB and Gossip Girl. Escapism via the medium of trashy TV! Coupled with a big glass of cold milk and a chocolate bar!
- What would your top tip be to anyone thinking about starting up a blog?
Just do it! Don’t think about it. Don’t plan it. If you love to write, just write. If you can master the basics of WordPress you are good to go. (I still haven’t got past the basics, but I love to write so I do!)
- Where do you get your inspiration to write?
From my life. What I see, hear and think. I write directly from my head and heart and I do not over think it. And mostly my inspiration comes from my boys, my wonderful, challenging, loving three boys, as they are my everything. (Actually, all five of my boys if you count the cat and the husband!)
- What’s the biggest challenge of blogging for you?
Time! Without a doubt. I started blogging quite recently, to keep my brain ticking over whilst on maternity leave, but as my baby boy gets older (he is now six months old – eek!) I have less time for blogging. And as much as I love it, I love my boys more. And time blogging is time I could be spending with them when they are awake, playing board games or reading or cuddling or have family time out. And when they are asleep I am still doing things for them, for example ironing, cooking, baby pureeing or sewing on Beavers badges. Or spending time with my gorgeous husband. And in the spirit of honesty, the trashy TV has also been prioritised over the blogging a bit lately! I am sorry. I am rubbish, I know. But that is the truth!
I also think that blogging is very therapeutic, so when things are going well in life, I have less to blog about. Less to rant about. Less things playing on my mind. And therefore less to say that anyone would be interested to read. I am pleased that my blogging is on the back seat at the moment, because for me that means all the other things are ticking along nicely.
However I would like more time to think, plan and write those things that are just nice to write, not necessary to write.
Eleven random facts about me…
- I like cucumber. As a child it was the only accompaniment to my roast dinner!
- I have size 6 feet. They went up a shoe size after having my first baby and stayed bigger ever since!
- I like reading ‘good’ books. By ‘good’ I mean the classics, but only seem to find the time and energy for easy-reading chick lit or crime thrillers!
- I am a lightweight. I cannot handle my beer. In fact I hate beer. And I am not keen on wine either. And when I finish breast-feeding and finally start drinking again, I will be even more of a lightweight!
- I would love a dog. But I won’t get one as they are a bigger tie than a baby and I don’t have the time or energy for one.
- If I won the lottery, I would not work again! So many people say it wouldn’t change them, but it would change me. I work because I get paid. Yes I love teaching, but I would love to be a lady of leisure more!
- I LOVE to sing. But I cannot. I cannot hold a tune. And I always think it is one of life’s cruel tricks, that I should love something so much that I am so bad at.
- I have not seen the Fifty Shades of Grey film. I am scared that I would be like a teenager, embarrassed and giggling at the back of the cinema!
- I love all things girly. I like shoes and shopping and craft hobbies and doing french plaits.
- I have three sons. This makes me feel sad about number 9. But they are my world.
- I like the simple pleasures in life. Don’t get me wrong – I would love fancy meals out, posh holidays, fast cars and designer clothes, but I cannot afford them. I choose my children over my higher-earning previous career. I choose part-time work over full-time work, so I am there for my children as much as possible (even though frequently they drive me mad!) And so I choose the simple pleasures in life and they work perfectly for me.
And that’s it. That’s another little glimpse into my life – I wonder if your three words to describe me would be different now. Let me know!
I now nominate…
And your questions are:
- What is your favourite book and why?
- What do you do that you know you shouldn’t?
- Bath or shower?
- Who is your most embarassing celebrity crush?
- What does your morning routine look like?
- When did you last wear a hat and why?
- If you could meet any fictional character in real life, who would it be?
- Chocolate or crisps?
- What is your favourite family holiday destination?
- What is your favourite TV boxset?
- Sum up your life in no more than ten words.